Please contact us if you are unable to purchase clothing within the dress code. IVA connects families in need with community resources.
Families - we appreciate all dress code donations to help provide students with dress code clothing.
IVA DRESS CODE GOAL: Given that many of our families come from a wide range of backgrounds and family systems, it is our aim to to create a dress code that allows for diversity and creativity while still maintaining a positive school culture without distraction. To support the dress code, IVA works with our PTO to offer more affordable spirit wear and support for families with clothing options from local non-profit organizations.
- Shirts in any color or pattern are okay
- Shirts and outerwear cannot have any images, graphics, or words on front or back
- Brand logos must be smaller than a quarter in size
- Shirt must cover full torso and shoulders
- IVA spirit wear accepted any day
HATS: Images or text must be school appropriate
- Any plain, solid, or pattern bottoms
- Bottoms cannot reveal undergarments
- Bottoms cannot have images, graphics or words on front or back
- Shorts & skirts - arm or fingertip length, not shorter than mid-thigh
SHOES: Closed footwear that covers the entire foot (no sandals or slippers).
PHYSICAL EDUCATION DRESS CODE:
TOPS: IVA PE-specific spiritwear orders will be input during September.
BOTTOMS: Black athletic shorts or pants (no cargo shorts or khakis, etc.)
PE SHOES: Comfortable to move in. Crocs/Sandals/open-toed shoes are not appropriate.
NOTE: IVA students must dress out for PE class and dress back into dress code after class.
Dressing out is an element of the participation points for each day.
If students arrive at school out of dress code they will be asked to change. The office holds loaner clothes for classes and the PE teachers hold loaners for PE class.
FREE DRESS: Free Dress days are assigned at the discretion of the principal.
- Tops must still cover the full torso and shoulders and bottoms must not reveal undergarments.
- Common sense guidelines for dressing appropriately apply.
Dress Code at other School Events:
Required dress for any school event is in line with our regular dress code and requires a level of attire to fit the occasion. For events such as dances and promotion, please see below. Promotion Dress: Casual, comfortable dress attire that falls within the school dress code. The 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony event is intended to be a semi-formal event that requires a level of attire that fits the occasion.
On Stage Promotion Extra Tips:
- Nicer than jeans. Example: Dress pants or dress
- Fingertip length or more
- Nicer than t-shirts. Example: blouse/formal top
- Shoulders covered
- Comfortable & easy to walk in
- No greater than 2" heels
Dress Code, Tardies, Cell Phone Use, Chromebook Misuse - Tracking Infractions
Intellectual Virtues Academy has adopted the following general guidelines in order to enhance student achievement, create a safe learning environment, provide school able to operate with limited distractions, hazards, or threat to students' health, safety, and general welfare.
IVA tracks these student infractions in a few areas: being out of dress code, use of cell phone or other device on campus, tardies to class during the school day, disruptions at our full school Virtue ceremony or assemblies, and other types of harm to campus incidents.
IVA follows three steps to address these types of out of the classroom infractions:
1) warning: student will receive notice of the infraction and change out or have their cell phone held in the office until the end of the day
2) family notice: notice to student and home about the policy and the second infraction: parent will pick up the cell phone after school
3) consequence: notice home about third infraction, which may result in any of the following: loss of break, school activity, cell phone contract, behavior contract and/or parent conference to identify supports needed