IVA Parent Teacher Student Association
We value parent involvement at IVA. Our Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) was incorporated prior to opening the school in the summer of 2013. The goal of the PTSA at IVA is to create opportunities for families to get involved. The PTSA's goal is to create a community connection and points of access for parents to get involved at school where they feel comfortable.
Read about our Fit-A-Thon happening on Saturday, March 4th:
Points of access for parents to be involved in their students' learning and character formation at IVA:
- Back to School Night and similar Events - Experience learning at IVA! How do you evaluate a school program for effectiveness?
- PTSA General Meetings - Support enrichment! How can parents get involved in activities and events at the school site?
- Parent Academies - Be a part of the discussion! How do we use an intellectual virtues approach at home?
- Parent Conferences - Apply the virtues to learning! What is my child's relationship with learning and how does that play out in the classroom?
- School Advisory Council - Think creatively! How can we problem-solve together?
- Illuminate and Google Classroom - Apprentice your student! How can I sit alongside my child and help them navigate assignments a contact with teachers?
PTSA Informational Documents 2016-2017 - Get Involved
PTSA General Meetings
PTSA General Meetings are prior to the Parent Academy events on campus at IVA. See our 2016-2017 parent events here. A full year of events on our Academic Calendar is here. Each event begins at 6 p.m.
PTSA- and IVA-sponsored Parent Academy
Parent Academy events are learning opportunities specifically designed and co-sponsored by the PTSA and the school. There are four Parent Academy events annually with topics that may include education, psychology, growth and development, and practicing intellectual virtues as parents.
Parent Connection dates for the 2016-2017 School Year
- Thursday, September 15, 2016 - Parent Academy: Teachers, Ms. Noble & Ms. Chen - Parent POW math night
- Tuesday, October 4, 2016 - School Advisory Council - Dressing out for Physical Education
- Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - PTSA Meeting & Parent Academy: Navigating HS Choice Process
- October 17 through 19 - 6th Grade Student-Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Thursday, November 17, 2016 - Documentary Premier on IVA's campus - Screenagers
- Thursday, December 15, 2016 - PTSA Meeting & Parent Academy:Topic to be Announced
- February 6 through 7 - 7th Grade Student-Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Thursday, February 9, 2017 - PTSA Meeting & Parent Academy: Topic to be Announced
- May 1 through 2 - 8th Grade Student-Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Thursday, May 4, 2017 - PTSA Meeting & Parent Academy: Topic to be Announced
At IVA, we value a culture of thinking, openness and respect, and a sense of purpose. Parent Academies help connect the school and home to achieve our vision -- to equip students to engage the world with curiosity and thoughtfulness, to know themselves, and to live well.
School Advisory Council
The School Advisory Council (SAC) advises Intellectual Virtues Academy of parents', students', and facultys' perspectives and provides recommendations about school issues. IVA will create the SAC as a formal way to include parent perspectives in the school’s decision-making process. SAC members actively reach out to engage families in school policy discussions.
The success of IVA’s unique educational model requires full family support. Accordingly, each family at IVA will be encouraged to volunteer in the ways that they are drawn to participate. Parents will have the option of serving in a variety of different ways consistent with their schedules including but not limited to participation in the PTSA, classroom assistance, event chaperoning, event leadership, Science Fair judging, office assistance, field trip chaperones, after school clubs and activities, After School Academies, after school tutoring, and special projects. (No parent or student shall be penalized or receive differential treatment as a result of not performing volunteer hours.) We believe that an expectation of this sort is critical to building the kind of educational atmosphere and community that will allow IVA to realize its unique educational vision.
Students, teachers, staff, parents and community all benefit from the work of individuals who give of your time and talents. IVA has a comprehensive Volunteer Handbook that will be available on our website and at Orientation we will explain how you can get involved as parent volunteer. We welcome your ideas!
We are working on creating a parent portal login for the website so that parents can sign up for events and keep track of volunteer opportunities. We can't wait for you to find a place to get involved. It's not ready yet but we will announce it in the newsletter when it is up and running!